Can radiation therapy cure lung cancer by itself?

8 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Reza Shirazi answered

Specializes in Radiation Oncology

Yes: Radiation needs to be in very high doses, which is called radiosurgery, or stereotactic body radiotherapy (sbrt). Cyberknife sbrt for primary lung cancer has been successful in treating early stage lung cancer.

Answered 10/1/2013

6.4k views

Dr. David Cooke answered

Specializes in Thoracic Surgery

Surgery Stage I/II: Surgery is the standard of care for early stage lung cancer (either stage i and ii). Not only does surgery remove the entire tumor, but accurately determines the stage by removing the associated lymph nodes, and allows the pathologist to examine them. Although radiation has shown to be effective in patients who can't undergo surgery, there is little long term (> 5 years) data. See: cancer.Gov.

Answered 11/7/2015

6.3k views

Dr. Bahman Daneshfar answered

Specializes in Radiation Oncology

Yes: In small cancers with no spread standard radiation and radiosurgery can cure lung cancer....But the standard of care is surgery. In more advanced cancer radiation can cure but is more effective with chemotherapy. I am referring to nonsmall cell types of lung cancer.

Answered 9/28/2016

6.1k views

Dr. Andrew Turrisi answered

Specializes in Radiation Oncology

Yes: Modern treatment planning allows for equal control in selected patients in select series; however, formal comparisons have not been made, and most consider surgery the standard.

Answered 10/3/2016

6.1k views