U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

Should i be worried? i am 17 and i am not sexually active but i have an irregular period, i have been bleeding for 6 weeks and its only getting heavier and more blood clots. i don't know what to do and im scared, i have pain under my stomach area

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Scott Musinski
Obstetrics and Gynecology 36 years experience
You : You may not be ovulating regularly. Your family doctor or ob/gyn could and probably would start you on oral contraceptives to control your cycle. An ultrasound could be done as well to check for cysts and fibroids, particularly if you were to have continued bleeding after a trial of oral contraceptives.
Dr. Creighton Wright
surgery 57 years experience
Yes: See OB gyn and be sure there are no other female issues pregnancy is not the only variable.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.