My 5yr old daughter has a dry spot in her head that want leave was told by nurse to wash with tgel and selcium blue but it doesn't seem to work

Dr. Laura McMullen
You : You should take your daughter to her doctor - she might have ringworm on her scalp. Ringworm is actually caused by a fungus (not a worm) and usually looks like a dry, slightly raised, red, flaky ring. It can be harder to see on the scalp. Ringworm on the body is typically treated with an antifungal cream, but ringworm of the scalp infects the hair follicles making it harder to treat. Scalp ringworm, called tinea capitis, usually requires a month or two of a daily prescription oral antifungal medication such as Griseofulvin in order to resolve. If she does not have ringworm, her doctor may still be able to tell what it is and give a treatment regimen which will help. Good luck!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. James Seward
Dermatology 24 years experience
In : In that age group, this could be several conditions, including possibly ringworm of the scalp, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff), or eczema. Given her age, it is important to rule out ringworm (fungal infection) of the scalp. I would recommend that you see a dermatologist who can perform a fungal culture and start anti-fungal therapy if appropriate. To treat the other conditions such as psoriasis or seborrhea, you can continue the same but could also try adding Nizoral (ketoconazole) shampoo to your regimen since it is also helpful in preventing spread of fungal infections. I hope that helps!
Last updated Oct 3, 2016