I recently had a mri on my ankle due to chronic pain and swelling on the lateral side. i'm a 59 y/o female. 13 yrs ago i had a triple arthrodesis after a severe calcaneal fracture. the mri shows the peroneal tendons are dislocated, impingement, and degene

Dr. James McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery 36 years experience
Your : Your condition is likely surgical. You may require a tibiotalar fusion to complete the pantalar arthrodesis or an ankle replacement. Before going for these drastic measures i feel it is reasonable to consider an arthroscopic debridement of the joint, getting rid of the osteophytes on the front of the ankle and stabilizing the peroneals. The ankle joint tolerates arthritis far better than the hip or the knee. There is no perfect answer but you should always try being as least aggressive as possible. Best of luck!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016