my question is, i have a bad sharp headache that wakes me up at night, but im not sure what it is. my symptoms are, dizziness, lightheaded, i feel loss of balance, i feel weak and tired have trouble concentrating, have tingling in my head when it hurts. b

Dr. Laura McMullen
Headaches : Headaches and their causes can be complicated, difficult diagnoses to make. Since it is waking you up at night, you should make an appointment with your doctor for a complete evaluation. You doctor will take a thorough history and do a neurological evaluation to try and find out what is causing your symptoms. You may want to think about the answers to some of the questions they may ask you such as: - when did it start? - how often do they happen? - are they getting more frequent or more painful? - how long do they last? - what does the headache feel like and can you point to it? - does it occur around the same time at night or does it ever happen during the day? - what other symptoms do you have and when do they occur in regards to the headache? - have you had any big life changes? - how is your lifestyle? Are you getting enough sleep, eating well, exercising? - are you taking any medications? Do you drink caffeine and how much? Answering these questions may help your doctor figure out what is causing your headaches, whether it is a serious problem or not, and how to help you. Good luck!
Dr. Prem Gupta
neurology 48 years experience
Likely migraine: If you have had even off and on so called " normal headaches" which in reality are mild headaches, in the past, then most probably you are having migraine headaches. Your family members may also have headaches of less or more severity.
Dr. Osman Farooq
Pediatric Neurology 20 years experience
Get checked: If you have headaches in the mornings or headaches that wake you up from sleep, you should get checked out by a neurologist.

Last updated Mar 19, 2017