U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old male asked:

Should i go to urgent care or er? i had reconstructive surgery on my left knee in 2005 , last sat. i went up an down a lot of stairs . now the area just below the knee cap where they screwed on the acl is swollen n very painful , knee cap seems loose now

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. James McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery 37 years experience
You : You may have accumulated fluid in your knee therefore the feeling of looseness to the knee cap. Your joint should be aspirated and fluid sent for analysis to rule out the possibilty of an infection. If your nearest urgent care has a lab next to it and can do the readings real time you may go there. Otherwise you are better off going to the er where an orthopedist may be called in if needed.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.