Why didn't my medicine "percocet" or "ativan" show up in my drug screen? i have a herniated disc in my lower back and panic attacks, i take my medicine daily, just as prescribed, but neither showed up in my drug test... can you help me?

Dr. Laura McMullen
Percocet : Percocet is a narcotic (opiate class) pain medication made up of a combination of oxycodone and Acetaminophen (tylenol). It would show up in a drug test as oxycodone or as an opiate depending on the test. Ativan (lorazepam) is a benzodiazepine called Lorazepam used for anxiety and a few other problems. Since Ativan (lorazepam) is the brand name, it usually show up in drug tests under it's generic name Lorazepam or as a benzodiazpine which is it's class of medication. If nothing showed up in your urine drug test and you are taking these medications daily as prescribed, you may want to call your doctor and have it repeated.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Many possiblereasons: Oxycodone may not show up on a drug screen unless the screen is specifically geared to that drug. Ativan (lorazepam) should show up, but it depends on the dose. If you are on a low dose (0.5 mg a day) it may be negative. Also, if you are drinking large amounts of water, it dilutes your urine to where drugs may be below the detection limit of the test.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016