U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

I have alopecia areata i had it for 3years im 19 years old , i have bald patches quarter sizes on the top and back of my head. the bald patches come and go they move around my head i wanna know what treatment to take to gain my full head of hair back , i

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. James Seward
Dermatology 24 years experience
Unfortunately, : Unfortunately, alopecia areata can recur even years later. I would recommend you get kenalog (triamcinolone) injections into the area again before the spots increase in size. Other adjunctive options would include a topical steroid foam, topical immunotherapy (cream you apply nightly or several times per week) to alter the immune response responsible for the hair loss. I often combine the steroid injections with the topical treatment and get pretty good results. There are a few other options used less frequently that your dermatologist can discuss with you.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jane Chung
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
No specific med: In all forms of alopecia areata, the hair follicles remain alive and are ready to resume normal hair production whenever they receive the appropriate signal. In all cases, hair regrowth may occur even without treatment and even after many years. There are no fda approved treatments specifically for alopecia areata, but you can try cortisone injection, topical monixidil, Anthralin cream.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.