Is pap smear still required for women who are in pre or post menopausal stages? recently had my mammography but have not seen my fp for my yearly pap smear and other routine exams. am wondering if this is still nescessary at my age. thank you.

Dr. Daniel Breazeale
For : For women in "transition" years (40-60), the obgyn community still recommends a yearly exam. This is an opportunity to evaluate the genital structures, both inside and out. A genital skin exam is important as well, and typically not done by other providers. Pap testing is used for early identification of cancer of the cervix. Your pap regimen is based you your history of any abnormal paps. Assuming you have had a normal paps, and you still have your cervix, the actually pap test can be decreased to 3 year intervals. Most authorities recommend discontinuing the pap test at age 65 or 70. Continue to get your annual mammograms, consider colonoscopy if you are over 50, and visit your doctor to update your pelvic exam. Best wishes and good health.
Dr. Steven Margolis
Uncertain: I would need to know your age to answer definitively, but if you are on hormone replacement, you absolutely need regular pap smears along with your mammorgrams.

Last updated Feb 27, 2017