Could you breastfeed after having breast reduction surgery?

15 doctors weighed in across 8 answers

Maybe: I tell my patients that they will probably not be able to breast feed after a breast reduction. However, if a large amount for breast tissue is left connected to the nipple and ducts, it is possible.

Answered 6/6/2013

6.4k views

Dr. Todd Sisto answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Yes : Not usually a problem.

Answered 4/25/2015

6.3k views

Dr. Michael Beckenstein answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Yes: Whie no large clinical studies have been performed on this topic, the usual quoted rate for breast feeding is 50/50.

Answered 3/6/2015

6.1k views

Dr. Francisco Agullo answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Often: Many women can breast feed after breast reduction surgery, but not all. If you require a free nipple graft you won't be able to.

Answered 7/5/2012

6.1k views

Dr. Bryan McIntosh answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Yes: Unless the surgery is performed by removing the nipple and reattaching it, you should be able to breast feed. However, it is likely that your milk production will be decreased to some extent.

Answered 6/11/2014

6.1k views

Dr. Steven Harris answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Usually not: This is the major reason we try to get women to wait until their family is complete to undergo breast reduction. Some times this is not possible, as the back, neck and shoulder pain is so severe that waiting makes no sense. Occasionally, it is possible for a woman to breast feed after breast reduction, and to my knowledge, there is no harm in trying. The benefits to the child are well worth it!

Answered 3/14/2014

6.1k views

Possible: Yes, it is possible but it truly depends on the extent of resection, , possibility of nerve injury, the technique used. Etc. It is also possible that you could not have been capable of nursing prior to breast reduction. I have performed breast reductions on several individuals who claim that nursing was difficult prior to surgery.

Answered 12/9/2013

6k views

Dr. Pankaj Tiwari answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Hello. Because of the advanced techniques used in breast reductions today, this surgery will not affect your ability to breastfeed if you become pregnant in the future after the procedure. Most plastic surgeons recommend allowing the breast to heal for at least 1 year before you become pregnant.

Answered 9/23/2021

0 views