Does my 3 year old have odd? i do not spank her and i do not use physical punishment. she has temper tantrums that last for a few hours. she always blames others for her misbehavior. she frequently questions rules. when i ask her to do something, she refu

Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engravanswered
Emergency Medicine 31 years experience
Parenting : Parenting is the hardest job we will ever do. It sounds like you are working very hard at this and trying to do the right thing. Some children are "wired" differently than others, even in the same family. There are many professionals who can offer expert advice. I would urge you to see your pediatrician and discuss your concerns, and ask for counseling referral. It is not counseling for you, but for recommendations that they can often make to inforce your child's correct behaviors and to reduce the concerning behaviors. The ages of 2-3 are especially trying as the child is "testing" their limits. It is good that you are seeking out ways to parent that will be beneficial to your child.
Dr. Geraldine Kempler
It : It sounds like you have a particularly challenging 3 year old! i agree with dr. Engrav that your pediatrician's office is a good place to ask for help. Sometimes there is a medical problem causing misbehavior. It is helpful to rule out a medical condition first. Family therapy is often used in difficult situations when the patient is very young. Essentially, therapists take the measure of the strengths of the patient and family, and listen carefully to the problems. Then, the parents are trained to make interventions at home. I'm not a therapist, but I have seen this work when i refer people to family therapists. A good family therapist is a treasure!
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 50 years experience
Protracted tantrums: Typically-developing tots begin to self-calm & respond to time-out ~ 18 mos. Protracted tantrums @ 3 suggest childhood dysregulation disorder, seen with early-onset adhd or a family history of mood disorders, etc. Ask her pediatrician to refer you to a child psychologist who'll teach you techniques to ignore tantrums & defiance effectively & "catch her being good, " as she may not outgrow this.