do swelling of the tongue and muscle cramps indicate kidney failure?

Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Specializes in Nephrology and Dialysis
No: Tongue swelling nor muscle cramps indicate renal disease. Renal disease may be present if you have swelling in your legs, have a decrease in appetite or see a decrease in urination.
Dr. Frank Mayo
Pulmonary Critical Care 48 years experience
Not usually: Tongue swelling is often associated with systemic allergy . Muscle cramps are more common with low potassium and kidney failure is usually associated with high potassium. However in an edema state of acute kidney failure swelling of many parts of the body can occur including the tongue and the acidosis of kidney failure may interfere with metabolism of other electrolytes causing cramps.