is taking herceptin (trastuzumab) better during or after chemotherapy?

Dr. Timothy Goggins
Hematology and Oncology 24 years experience
Depends on the chemo: Herceptin should not be given in combination with adraimycin. It would increase the risk of heart toxicity. We do commonly give Herceptin in combination with other drugs like Carboplatin and taxotere, or paclitaxol in an adjuvant setting. Herceptin alone is done to complete 1 year of treatment. In the setting of advanced disease we give it in combination with drugs like Xeloda and navelbine (vinorelbine).