what is the medical term for the whipple procedure?

Dr. Umut Sarpel
Surgical Oncology 20 years experience
Whipple: The medical term for a whipple is a pancreaticoduodenectomy. In this operation, the head of the pancreas, the duodenum, and the bile duct are all removed, and the areas are reconnected. A whipple is usually done for a tumor involving the head of the pancreas, the bile duct, or the duodenum.
Dr. Eric Whitman
Surgical Oncology 36 years experience
Lots of big words: Pancreaticoduodenectomy with reconstruction. Options for reconstruction include pancreaticogastostomy, pancreaticojejunosotomy, roux-en-y gastojejunosotmy, loop gastrojejunostomy, duodenojejunostomy, and choledochojejunostomy. Reconstruction depends on surgeon choice, patient anatomy, tumor location and other factors.
Dr. Benjamin Kim
General Surgery 43 years experience
Pancreatico-duodenec: Pancreatico-duodenectomy.