when can i start driving after acl reconstruction?

Dr. Vishal Shah
Orthopedic Surgery 19 years experience
Depends: This depends on the limb that is injured and the other structures repaired. If your non-driving leg undergoes surgery, generally one can drive when able to get in and out of a car and when not adversely affected by pain medications from surgery (2-14 days). For your driving leg, it depends on the restrictions pertinent to your individual repair and must be discussed with your doctor (7-28 days).
Dr. Thomas Deberardino
Orthopedic Surgery 32 years experience
R slower than L knee: Generically it may take longer to be able to drive safely after right knee surgery since this is your driving foot. Once you are off daytime narcotics, can efficiently get into and out of car seat, and have painfree and normal reaction time moving from gas to brake pedal, you are probably safe to drve. Many state have something like our state's "impaired driver law". Check with your dmv.