what should i do if i have chondromalacia patella pain?

Dr. Matthew Zwerling
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Gentle exercises : Chondromalacia is a softening of the cartilage between the patella (knee cap) and underlying joint. The best early treatment is to gently strengthen the quads (thigh muscle). Step up with your painful leg onto a 4" block/book and down. Repeat as many reps as comfortable and work up to doing 200/session. Then do it on a stair, which is typically 6". This is to avoid too much knee bend/strain.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
1
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I would object to any knee surgery now that I know the wisdom of Travell. I would strictly avoid steroids into the joint and viscosupplements. Giving a problems a name is just the beginning of the long road to normal. Self care if vital and being proactive in your care is too. Janet G. Travell, MD the matriarch of pain therapy noted in the 50-90's something interesting about joint pain. She stated that any joint area stiffness, aching and tension was due to muscles NOT the joint proper. So her myofascial therapy protocols are designed to treat all types of "joint pain." Begin a self-care self/pro Massage, chiropractor, heat, Epsom soaking, stretching. I use acupuncture!
Nov 25, 2012