i am scheduled to have a branchial cleft cyst removed from my neck and i just found out that i am pregnant. can i still have the surgery?

Dr. Neetu Ahluwalia
Pain Management 20 years experience
Possibly: Let your surgeon know that you are pregnant as well as all other members of your healthcare team including your ob/gyn. If its an elective surgery, they may recommend delaying it.
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 21 years experience
Unlikely that a branchial cleft cyst needs to be operated on urgently. Ask your ENT about postponing.
Nov 1, 2012
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
You can: But it is best to wait to have elective surgery until after your delivery.
Dr. Edwin Ishoo
Branchial cleft cyst: This is a congenital abnormality, meaning you've had it all your life and it is not neoplastic or pre-malignant. I would strongly discourage you from having this elective surgery while you are pregnant as you will need general anesthesia which could have significant risk for your fetus. No reason to risk it. Manage medically until done with breast feeding then schedule the procedure.