U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 63-year-old female asked:

I have rheumatoid arthritis and take methotrexate and humira (adalimumab) injections. i want to get look better by getting filler for my face. please let me know which ones are not in conflict with my medications. thanks?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 21 years experience
Filler options: You need to avoid sculptra with RA as you may be at increased risk for nodule and granuloma formation. Ha fillers like juvederm or Restylane (dermal fillers) should be safe but last only a year or so. Fat transfer is a good long term option but has more down time. Consult with a local experienced facial plastic surgeon.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Houtan Chaboki
Facial Plastic Surgery 23 years experience
Facial filler RA: Facial fillers are a good option to reduce wrinkles without surgery. Patients with RA may bruise more easily due to the medications that they take for the arthritis. Office aesthetic treatments to consider include hyaluronic acid fillers (restylane, juvederm), which is already normally found in the skin. The benefit of this type of cosmetic treatment is that it can be reversed more easily.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Aug 4, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.