Will indoor tanning cause any health problems other than skin cancer, like ovarian cancer?

8 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Mike Bowman answered

Specializes in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery

Tanning =Early aging: Ironically, in an effort to look more beautiful at a young age, people who tan with uv lights increase their risk of skin cancers and dramatically worsen the aging of their skin. This photo aging is dramatically worsened by smoking as well. As someone who works hard to rejuvenate faces later in life...Stop the tanning now and save yourself some trouble later!

Answered 10/21/2011

6.3k views

Don't do indoor tan: Sunless indoor tanning is bad enough with the risk of skin cancer and the aging damage to the face. You don't need more evidence of other tumors in the body to stop this recreational activity. I am not aware of ovarian cancer being linked to indoor tanning.

Answered 2/2/2012

6.1k views

Aging and death: Indoor tanning is paying someone to cause you skin cancer and make you age faster! skin cancer is not to be taken lightly--it is the number one cause of death in young people under the age of 30. Also, once the damage is done you can't undo it. Your skin has memory and will remember every sunburn or uv tanning assault. The damage starts young and accumulates over time.

Answered 6/3/2014

6.1k views