Durham, NC

is it safe to defrost blueberries in the microwave? i heard some zapping and it made me nervous. did this for over a year including when pregnant.

Dr. Robert Stewart
Clinical Psychology 44 years experience
Microwave ovens: Simply heat an item by agitating its molecules. The "radiation" is non-ionizing, meaning it does not alter the dna or molecular structure of the food the way x-rays and gamma rays can. So the only damage to blueberries (or any other food) would be from over heating. "zapping" can occur from sparks when a metalic container is used or from steam "exploding." defrosting blueberries is safe.