what is the appropriate weight gain in pregnancy?

Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
25 lbs: That's the standard quote. The recommendation may vary depending on your baseline wt. If your pre-pregnancy wt was over ideal wt. Then your dr may recommend less wt. Gain or even no wt. Gain.
Dr. Chuck Shaffer
Bariatrics 33 years experience
See below: Studies show that women who gain too much during pregnancy are at a higher risk for having a cesarean delivery. They also tend to retain too much weight after pregnancy and have a higher weight in subsequent pregnancies. Your pre-pregnancy weight was in the healthy range for your height (a bmi of 18.5 to 24.9), you should gain between 25 and 35 pounds, gaining 1 to 5 pounds in the first trimeste.