what are the causes of pain in the back and down the leg?

Dr. Chintan Sampat
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 18 years experience
A pinched nerve: Decreased space for the nerves in the low back can results in low back pain that radiates into the lower extremities. This can be due to a herniated disc, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, or a variety of other reasons (including hip arthritis, poor circulation, etc.).
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 40 years experience
Several things : Including a disc herniation. There are other possibilities. Peripheral vascular disease & spinal stenosis both can cause pain into a leg mimicking sciatic pain as can other issues like hip & knee arthritis. Other causes of nerve compression in the spine due to a tumor, infection or fracture can cause this pain. Pyriformis syndrome can also cause radiating leg pain as can sacroiliac joint issues.
Dr. Neil Ellis
Anesthesiology 13 years experience
Could be your back: It is difficult to answer given the amount of information. Isolated pain on the back of your leg could be from an injury. In the calf it could be from a blood clot. If it runs down the back of your leg it could be your back. It is probably worth getting checked out by a primary care provider.