Walls, MS

my daughter has had a bad ear infection and now her ear has been leaking lots of fluid. has she ruptured her ear drum? if she has when does the fluid stop?

Dr. Michael Olds
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 32 years experience
Probably ruptured: A rush of fluid from the ear canal in the midst of an acute ear infection usually means the drum has ruptured. If she has ear tubes this drainage will usually come through the tube. Drainage will typically stop within a week, but she should receive a professional examination, including a hearing test.
Dr. Ratna Dhingra
Yes: this is probably better--the pus is draining out.have her checked by her dr again.the fluid can drain for variable times.