I will be sleeping on a plane for 6 hours. how can i prevent deep vein thrombosis?

Dr. Barbara Toppin
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Ask your doctor: If you are traveling a long distance by plane or car, consult your doctor before leaving to if you are at risk for blood clots and may be a candidate preventive medications. As your risks may not always be obvious, you may wear loose fitting clothes, use support hose, stand and walk when you are able . Flexing and extending you feet will also help the leg circulation.
Dr. Lornell Hansen
Phlebology 27 years experience
I would also recommend that you drink plenty of fluids,avoid alcohol when you fly. If you are at increased risk of DVT, I would recommend that you wear graduated compression stockings with 20 to 30 mmHg.
Dec 20, 2011
Dr. Ted King
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Flexing and extending your feet is especially helpful if you can do it against resistance.
Apr 7, 2012
Dr. Lornell Hansen
Phlebology 27 years experience
Stay Hydrated: I would also recommend that you drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcohol when you fly. Dehydration can increase the lieklyhood of developing a DVT when you fly.
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 21 years experience
Try to extend your legs and torso also (like a recliner)... the more you are in a "seated" position, the more compression there is on your deep veins. Ideally you want to get up and move around or flex your leg muscles every so often to circulate the blood in your legs.
Dec 29, 2011
Dr. Ted King
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
The other thing you want to not forget on long flights is to wear 20-30 mmHg, knee high graduated compression stockings.
Mar 2, 2012
Dr. Ted King
Movement important: If you can't walk around, flexing and extending your feet is especially helpful if you can do it against resistance.

Last updated Feb 2, 2017