U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 41-year-old member asked:

how long would it take to go into anaphylactic shock from poison ivy exposure?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Marianna Post
Family Medicine 17 years experience
Not long: Seconds to few hours, but definitely not few days . But anaphylactic shock is extremely rare from exposure to poisonous plants, more common reaction is contact dermatitis.
Dr. Luis Matos
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 45 years experience
Not related: Poison ivy is a different type of allergy. It is a rash that starts 12-24 hours after it touches your skin and worsens up to 48 hours later. It does not usually cause anaphylaxis . Those who are sensitive have activated their immune cells to kill any of your skin cells that have been contaminated by touching the oils of the plant.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Related questions

A 37-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 32-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 19-year-old male asked:
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
Last updated Jun 21, 2018
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.