how many puffs per day of an albuterol inhaler for asthma are too many?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Pulmonology 27 years experience
Variable: If you are using more than six puffs of a short acting rescue inhaler (ie albuterol) for your asthma or going through two or more canisters per month your asthma is poorly controlled and you need to consider addl medications.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Allergy and Immunology 44 years experience
5 puffs per week: If you are not using albuterol to prevent or relieve exercise-triggered asthma symptoms the maximum is 4 puffs per week. If you need more than that asthma is considered not controlled. If you are not taking a controller medication then you need to start. If you are taking one, like an inhaled corticosteroid or leukotriene antagonist, then you need more.