Las Vegas, NV

I went to an allergist and he told me that my ige level was 1280. he said that was high. but how high is that? or is it high for normal?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Allergy and Immunology 44 years experience
Quite high.: It is far above "high normal". If you have asthma this is in the range where allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (abpa) should be considered. If you have eczema secondary infection by staphylococcus may be the problem. If you have recurrent skin abscesses and pneumonia you might have a genetic condition called job syndrome.
Dr. Barbara Stark Baxter
Allergy and Immunology 42 years experience
IgE level: A normal ige is usually pretty low. The exact normal given by each lab varies but the upper limit of the normal range is usually not much over 100. A level of 1280 is certainly high, but much higher levels than that are sometimes seen, as well. Very high levels can occur with significant allergies, eczema, parasitic infestations and a few rare diseases. It's good you have an allergist!

Last updated Apr 2, 2019