Should i go to the gym and workout after my shoulder joint dislocation is healed?

Dr. Vlad Gendelman
Orthopedic Surgery 17 years experience
Yes: After you recover from a dislocation you have to build the strength back up in your shoulder. There is a wide range of exercises you can do.
Dr. Kevin Stone
Specializes in Sports Medicine
Yes with guidance: We would recommend having an evaluation by a physical therapist first before going back to the gym so they can evaluate and make an exercise program specific to your needs. It is important to strengthen the muscle groups that stabilize the shoulder and to know which exercises and which machines can help you accomplish that goal.
Dr. Anthony Wei
Orthopedic Surgery 20 years experience
Absolutely: Working out and conditioning your rotator cuff muscles and upper back muscles are a key to rehabilitation following shoulder dislocation.
Dr. Daniel Mass
Orthopedic Surgery 46 years experience
Maybe : You need to wait until you have full pain free range of motion. Many people in their twenties remain unstable. You can do modified exercises. You need to do things that do not stretch you shoulder out. In bench presses do not drop your elbow your body. Flys don't allow your elbows to go beyond your body.
Dr. Jason Torrente
Yes but...: You should go through a course of observed physical therapy. This will ensure you are doing appropriate exercises for your shoulder and that you are not doing too much, too fast. Always start low and go slow with rehab and exercise.