does dermabrasion help cure acne scarring?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Margaret Mann
18 years experience Dermatology
Depends on Severity: Dermabrasion was once the best treatment for acne scars, but it often took a long time for the skin to heal and the treatment can leave scars or permanent lightening of the skin. The newest treatment is with fractionated co2 laser which is more effective, less likely to cause scarring and patients have less downtime.
Answered on May 26, 2016
4
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
41 years experience Plastic Surgery
It can Help: Dermabrasion is one way that plastic surgeons use to lessen acne scarring. It is more helpful for shallow pits than the "icepick" scars some people get. It also helps wrinkles. There are many ways to lessen scars; we can never get rid of them totally. Seek professional help in finding out what way is best for yours.
Answered on Apr 25, 2012
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
55 years experience Plastic Surgery
It DEpends: It makes it better but doesn't "cure" it.
Answered on Mar 26, 2013