Putnam Valley, NY

31 weeks pregnant & have placenta accreta. this is my 4th baby & never had a c-section.my doctor is suggested i have an mri . is it safe for the baby?

Dr. William Boelter
YES!: The MRI is safe as long as you don't have other problems that preclude the test!
Dr. Michael Sparacino
Yes: Increasingly, data have shown the safety of MRI in pregnancy. Here the benefits clearly outweigh the risks.
Confusing technology: Although the idea of avoiding x-rays during pregnancy is widely known, the new technologies face a different problem. People assume that the MRI is just as bad or is just a different type of x-ray machine. It is not, it simply "magnetizes" you briefly like you can small pieces of metal & uses computer assisted sensors to give pictures much better than a cat scan. It won't hurt you or baby.

Last updated Sep 28, 2016