U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 33-year-old member asked:

How can you lighten spots on your face?

6 doctor answers15 doctors weighed in
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology 47 years experience
Bleaching cream: Bleaching creams can lighten dark areas. Ingredients include hydroquinone, kojic acid, and coffeberry. Kojic acid can cause an irritation in some people. The coffeberry products available from stiefel are not irritaing.
Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 22 years experience
Skin Lightener & IPL: Hydroquinone is an fda approved skin lightener. You can find it at concentrations of 1-2% over the counter. Prescription strength is usually 4-6%. May work faster/better when combined with retin-a. Ipl laser treatments and speed up the process as well. Hope this helps!
Dr. Lornell Hansen
Phlebology 28 years experience
Other options include Q-switched lasers, laser resurfacing and chemical peels.
Dec 29, 2011
Dr. Frederick Coville
Plastic Surgery 40 years experience
Creams and peels: Many ways to lighten spots. First you must find out what sort of spots they are. Suspicious moles may be cancerous and should be examined by a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Superficial spots are easy to treat, deep pigment is most difficult and requires combination therapy. Spread the spot with your fingers, if it lightens, it's not deep, if it doesn't it will need combination treatments.
Dr. Ronald Shelton
Dermatology 38 years experience
Skin lightening: Sunscreen is very important. Chemical peels, lightening agents such as hydroquinone, retin-a, glycolic acid, illume, and now a new immediately acting chemical found in nature, is in elure a moisturizing lightener dispensed in doctors' offices. Fraxel clear and brilliant, restore, fraxel dual and repair, v-beam, alexandrite, neodynium-yag lasers & portrait plasma all can help lighten pigment.
Dr. Timothy Rodgers
Dermatology 20 years experience
Creams and lasers: There are many options available to treat brown spots or discoloration. A dermatologist can determine what the spots are and how best to treat them. Common methods include "bleaching" creams, chemical peels, and lasers.
Dr. Seema Patel
Holistic Medicine 28 years experience
Hyperpigmentation: Hyperpigmentation can come from sun damage, melasma, post inflammatory reactions, acne, as well as medical conditions. The best way to decrease this is using hydroquinone 4% with Retin-A or a prescription of triluma. If they are mild, peels and microderm can help. If they are deeper & have been there for awhile, you will need lasers and or deeper peels.

Related questions

A 19-year-old member asked:
How can I reduce dark spots on the face ?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 25-year-old male asked:
How to reduce or remove dark spots from face ?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A member asked:
When will my baby's soft spots on his head go away?
2 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
Whats the best thing to do about spots on your face?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 56-year-old male asked:
How to get fair complxion and dark spots from my face
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Nov 28, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.