How can you get rid of a sinus infection fast?

Dr. Neil Giddings
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 40 years experience
Take antibiotics: "true sinus infections". , not a viral cold, are caused by bacterial infection of the air containing sinuses around the nose and benefit from antibiotics. If it is a viral infection it is usually self limiting in 5-7 days, and does not require antibiotics.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Chris Hayes
Specializes in Family Medicine
See your doctor: Sinus infections are often viral, and viral illnesses last 7 to 10 days. You can take meds for symptoms, but there is nothing that can be done to shorten the length of a viral illness. If your sinus symptoms are caused by a bacterial infection or allergies, though, there may be prescription meds that can help. See your doctor to determine if any of these medicines might be appropriate for you.