How do you operate on carpal tunnel syndrome?

15 doctors weighed in across 12 answers
Dr. Robert Gluck answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Hand palm side: There are two basis procedures, both performed on an ambulatory surgery basis and generally done under local anesthesia with light sedation. The first technique is endoscopic with one or two small incisions at the palm and wrist, releasing the volar carpal ligament. The second is a typically mini-open incision that allows for other procedures such as synovectomy or neurolysis if called for.

Answered 9/28/2016

6.1k views

Dr. Robert Coats II answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Open or endoscopic: Surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome (cts) involves cutting the transverse carpal ligament (tcl). Open capal tunnel release utilizes direct visualization of the tcl, which is then cut through a palmar skin incision. Endoscopic carpal tunnel release uses a small wrist incision to enter the carpal tunnel with an endoscope. The tcl is incised through the scope with a retractable endoscopic knife.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.8k views

Dr. Jeffrey Wint answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Video carpal tunnel: Ill do one better here is a link to page with diagrams and a video http://www.Handctr.Com/carpal-tunnel-syndrome-q-a.Html essentially the role of the surgery is to release the transverse carpal ligament taking pressure off the median nerve.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.4k views

Dr. Jeffrey Wint answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Video carpal tunnel: Ill do one better here is a link to page with diagrams and a video http://www.Handctr.Com/carpal-tunnel-syndrome-q-a.Html it is a day stay procedure and i typically do it in a surgery center. You go home the same day, the surgery takes about half an hour.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.4k views

Dr. Gary Pess answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Release: The key to carpal tunnel surgery is releasing the transverse carpal ligament. I prefer to this endoscopically using a scope and special knives.

Answered 2/9/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Jeffrey Wint answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Surgery carpal tunnel: Here is a link to page with diagrams and a video http://www.Handctr.Com/carpal-tunnel-syndrome-q-a.Html.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Jeffrey Wint answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

VIDEO carpal tunnel: Here is a video i made a few years back sorry for the bear but it is good information http://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=lwghddhvm60&list=plcbd41f7a42e20469&index=4&feature=plpp_video.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Jeffrey Wint answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Treatment carpal: Treatment for carpal tunnel can range from conservative to surgical. Antiinflammatory medication, splints to start. Injections in the wrist. Nerve studies and posbily surgery. Carpal tunnel release can be done open or endoscopic. A hand surgeon can help. http://www.handctr.com/carpal-tunnel-syndrome-q-a.html.

Answered 12/10/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Jeffrey Wint answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

It may seem: Similar at times, due to wrist pain, it may be a cooncurrent problem in the right anatominc region, ie there are 9 tendons and only one nerve in the carp[al tunnel. If there were tendonitis near the nerve in the carpal tunnel it could be hard to differentite that form carpal tunnle suptoms.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.3k views

Dr. John Michalski answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

CTR: Usually done by a minimally invasive technique on the palm that release the median nerve.

Answered 3/16/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Pedro Loredo answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Endoscopic Carpal: Minimal Incisions & Discomfort • State of the Art Technology • Affordable Solutions. Numbness, tingling, pain, and weakness associated with the hand and wrist can keep you from enjoying your favorite hobbies. Our minimally invasive hand surgery options will relieve your pain and help you feel more like yourself again. We specialize in state-of-the art treatments for pain, numbness, tingling.

Answered 11/28/2017

510 views

Dr. Edward Hellman answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Release: You essentially release the transverse carpal Ligament which then opens up and expands the volume of the carpal tunnel giving more room for the median nerve.

Answered 11/28/2017

509 views