U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old member asked:

What can we do if my mother has been in atrial fibrillation for the last three months?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. R Hardwin Mead
43 years experience
See a cardiologist!: There are many options for someone in this situation. She may need to consider going on a blood thinner to prevent a blood clot in the heart, as well as medications to control her heart rate. But it is important for her to see a cardiologist, and if possible where you live, a cardiac electrophysiologist who specializes in abnormal heart rhythms.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John Garner
Cardiology 17 years experience
See a cardiologist: The most important question is what previous treatment has been tried for the atrial fibrillation. If the answer is none, a cardioversion and use of an antiarrhythmic drug may be a reasonable option. If your mother has repeatedly failed this treatment, a cardiac electrophysiologist may be able to assist you.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 18-year-old female asked:
Does atrial fibrillation cause fainting?
3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 43-year-old member asked:
How can food affect atrial fibrillation?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
Can young adults get atrial fibrillation?
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
A 48-year-old member asked:
What are the common symptoms of atrial fibrillation?
2 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.