U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 44-year-old member asked:

Is there anything you can take to end alcohol dependence?

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kevin Passer
37 years experience
No: But, there are excellent treatments. I often prescribe a medication called Antabuse (disulfiram) for my patients with drinking problems. It works by making the person very sick if they drink while it's in their system. There are two other medications indicated for alcohol dependence-naltrexone and campral. Sadly, there is no cure. It's one day at a time.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 32-year-old male asked:
What is the definition or description of: Alcohol dependence?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 47-year-old member asked:
Can you tell me about alcohol promotes physical and psychological dependence?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 33-year-old member asked:
What are the DSM criteria for substance dependence and alcohol abuse?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 29-year-old male asked:
For a patient diagnosed with alcohol abuse, not dependence, do you ever recommend aa?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 41-year-old member asked:
How are alcohol abuse and dependence different?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated May 7, 2016

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $19/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.