U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 25-year-old member asked:

I think i have an internal hemorrhoid from childbirthing, how can i treat this without the humiliation of a doctors exam?

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Gastroenterology 36 years experience
Strange ?: If you find your doctor humiliates you, perhaps you need another. On the other hand, if you find the whole business humiliating, how in earth did you go through childbirth?
Dr. George T Tsai
General Surgery 28 years experience
Best to be examined: Start by optimizing your fiber (25-30 grams/ day = 5-6 servings of fruit and vege) and hydration (~ 8 glasses of fluid/ day). Stool softener may be helpful so you don't strain to have a bm. However, if you have grade ii/iii hemorrhoids, you will need to see a doctor. Don't be embarrassed, this is a very common problem and it usually isn't as bad as you think.
Dr. Sean O Donovan
Colon and Rectal Surgery 35 years experience
Yes, but...: Anal pain after delivery may be from many things, including, a fissure, blood clot, or infected episiotomy, so check with your ob/gyn. A simple 'angry' hemorrhoid will usually resolve with time, sitz baths(hot water to relax everything), stool softeneres to prevent straining, and otc creams may help too (tronolane is one). But have your ob/gyn at least look :).

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 41-year-old female asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 30-year-old male asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.