about lymphedema, thighs only, after skin reduction surgery: medical graduated thigh-high stockings don't compress above the knee; they only cling. ?

Dr. Kathryn Wagner
General Surgery 31 years experience
Lymphedema specialis: You really need to go to a lymphedema specialist who will be a physical therapist with extra training who can fit with appropriate compression garments, teach massage techniques and excercises and recommend any newer technology that may help in your situation. You should get a referral from your doctor and insurance may cover some of it.
Dr. Eric Lullove
Podiatry 19 years experience
Stockings.....: Should compress above the knee as long as the pressure gradient from the great saphenous vein is under compression. Usually and typically, excess fluid from the thigh is removed with remedial walking exercises and the normal motion of the quadriceps and hamstrings during walking.
Dr. Ted King
Compression: I completely agree with dr. Wagner recommendation that you see a lymphedema therapist. You might also do better with non-elastic compression than with compression stockings. Check out http://www.Circaid.Com. Circaid garments are actually easier than stockings to apply, and generally do a better job of controlling swelling than stockings too.