what is the recovery time for shoulder arthroscopy?

Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Luanswered
Orthopedic Surgery 24 years experience
Variable: It is variable depending on the procedure done. It varies from simple scopes of 6 weeks, to rotator cuff repairs of 4 months. Individuals also respond very differently to surgery. Some recover much quicker without apparent reason. A good part of the recovery process is also a shoulder and shoulder blade exercise program to better support the shoulder after surgery.
Dr. Paul Grutter
Orthopedic Surgery 22 years experience
6-8 weeks: This depends on the procedures performed, but most people are able to return to most of their activities at 8 weeks. People are typically working with physical therapy for 6-8 weeks after surgery. People involved in heavy labor may take 3 months to return to work. Some people will still have gradual improvements 6-12 months after surgery.
Dr. Robert Coats II
Orthopedic Surgery 23 years experience
6-12 weeks: Shoulder arthroscopy is a well tolerated outpatient surgery with a rapid recovery time. Depending on what needs to be done, most people are in therapy by 2 weeks after surgery and very functional by 6 weeks. Complete recovery may take 3-4 months.