when is shoulder arthroscopy indicated?

Dr. Mark Cantieri
Pain Management 40 years experience
MRI findings: The MRI or mr arthrogram is usually done before considering performing an arthroscopy. This will show certain pathology that may be amendable to surgical arhtroscopy. Findings include tears of the rotator cuff or tears of the labrum most commonly.
Dr. Christopher Piller
Orthopedic Surgery 27 years experience
After failed therapy: For most shoulder injuries or conditions, surgery is an option, but only after an adequate amount of time has been allowed for the condition to resolve, and conservative treatment with physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medication and activity modification have been tried. However, surgery might be the best option for painful rotator cuff or cartilage tears, instability, or impingement.