United Kingdom

impacted tooth. day later, pain spread up my jaw to the right side of neck. can't eat, on max co-codamol but the pain keeps getting worse. advice?

Dr. Thomas Davis
Dentistry 36 years experience
Emergency: If you just had a impacted tooth extracted you should see the oral surgeon as soon as possible to evaluate for infection or a dry socket. You might need antibiotic?
Dr. Joseph Portale
General Practice 49 years experience
Acute oral infection: Oral infection spreading into surrounding tissues, cellulitis likely. Antibiotic coverage immediately. Surgical intervention required. The longer the infection is left untreated, the more severe the complications.
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry 12 years experience
Call Provider: It is very common to have signigicant pain after an impacted tooth is removed. Pain meds don't always totally take care of that for you. The pain should start decreasing after about 3days. Just because the pain med is not taking away 100% of the pain does not mean there is a problem but if you are really concerned call your provider to see what they think. They may want you to go back in.
Dr. Richard Leaderman
Dentistry 49 years experience
The pain usually will get worse on the 3 - 5 day after surgery. You should call to talk about different pain medicine.
Jul 27, 2012
Dr. Srijan Mehta
General Practice 14 years experience
Go to dentist: The only advice in this situation is to go see a dentist urgently and they may refer you too the oral surgeon or better still go see the oral surgeon if the tooth was extracted already
Dr. Ronald Achong
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 18 years experience
Great answer. I agree 100%
Dec 3, 2012