A 36-year-old member asked:
Disclaimer

is it dangerous to swallow gum?

1 doctor answer
Dr. Meng Syn
Dr. Meng Syn answered
37 years experience Dentistry
NO: Though your body can't digest it, it passes through your digestive track in a smooth lump and is excreted in your stool 24 to 72 hours later. Large amounts of digested gum have the potential to block your colon and will lead to discomfort.
Answered on Nov 1, 2018

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month

Related questions:

A 27-year-old female asked:
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
No worries: It will pass
A 32-year-old male asked:
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
Not particularly: As long as it was just a little. Hydrogen peroxide is water (H2O) with an extra oxygen atom added (H2O2) so its not like you've ingested poison.
1
1 thank
A 24-year-old female asked:
Dr. Martin Raff
55 years experience Infectious Disease
Abscess: Probably not dangerous since gastric acid will destroy most bacteria, but this should be seen by a dentist and treated aggressively. Do not wait.
1
1 thank
A 47-year-old member asked:
Dr. James Ferguson
45 years experience Pediatrics
No: Of the many things a kid swallows, chewing gum is the least likely to ever become a problem. It will pass easily through the digestive system essentia ... Read More

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month