Does my baby have constipation?

Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Specializes in Pediatrics
No: Normal infants can go 7-10 days without a bowel movement, longer if they are breast fed. Formula fed babies stool more frequently, and babies on soy formula stool the most frequently. As physicians, we tend not to get worried, unless the baby is excessively fussy with attempts to stool. All babies will get somewhat upset-you would too, if you had to lie on you back to stool! giving water helps.
Yes: Yes, a baby has constipation if he has to push hard to get the poop out (the poop itself doesn't have to be hard). If the poop is firm, then the baby is constipated even if he doesn't need to push to get the poop out.
Dr. David Ziring
Pediatric Gastroenterology 23 years experience
Maybe?: Does she pass large, hard, dry, infrequent stools associated with pain?