is there a relationship between ibs and food allergies?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Howard Hack
Unknown: The traditional research in IBS has not definitively identified connections between foods or food allergies and ibs. This is actually one of the definitions of IBS by the experts. Many of us believe IBS may represent more than one condition however and so I am careful to listen to what my patients tell me. I might be inclned to consider the symptoms something other than typical IBS in that case.
Answered on Jan 15, 2015
2
Dr. Luis Matos
44 years experience Pediatric Allergy and Asthma
If you don't look...: Ibs is a clinical group of symptoms of unknown cause. If you suspect specific foods that trigger intestinal cramping, diarrhea, dumping syndrome.And you have positive allergy skin test to these foods then technically you no longer have ibs. You have a food allergy. This situation is not very common but it is worth looking since avoiding the food is better have taking chronic medications.
Answered on May 14, 2014
6