NY

Since i have oily skin on my face is there a way i can get rid of my acne ? over the counter products such as oxy pads doesn't work for me.

Dr. Luis Villaplana
ACNE IS TREATABLE: Regardless of the type of skin. Please see your doctor or dermatologist for further treatment options.
Dr. Roman Bronfenbrener
Dermatology 9 years experience
Try using an OTC med such as benzoyl peroxide washes, which some people have better success with than salicylic acid. Make sure to use it every day; persistence is key! It might take several weeks for you to really notice a difference but it has antimicrobial activity against P.acnes and it unclogs pores. If you're not getting the results you want, see a dermatologist.
Jul 10, 2012
Pathology 44 years experience
Rx meds are best: Over-the-counter products work poorly. I start with topical Clindamycin with or without a retinoic acid derivative. If this fails, oral antibiotics such as tetracycline or erythromycin, depending on what you can take, are helpful. Dermatologists have Accutane and lasers. All acne is manageable nowadays if you want and can get care in our dysfunctional system. I wish you the best of luck.

Last updated Jun 24, 2014