A 44-year-old member asked:
could you get food poisoning from chips?
2 doctor answers
Dr. James Ferguson answered
45 years experience Pediatrics
Unlikely but possabl: The dry and salty nature of most chips make them an unlikely source of food poisoning as germs are unlikely to survive for extended periods on this surface. However, the chip bowl may be tainted as well as the hands that put them out. The dip is a more likely source due to the moisture content and mix of nutrients germs love.
Answered on Aug 19, 2018
Dr. Michael Rupp answered
20 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Unlikely: Food poisoning can in theory occur from any food that spoils to the point where harmful bacteria grow, but it does not usually occur with dry foods or foods cooked at very high temperatures like foods deep fried in oil. If you ate the chips with a dip, that could cause the problem.
Answered on Jan 17, 2018
90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:
People also searched for:
Connect by text or video with a U.S. board-certified doctor now — wait time is less than 1 minute!