Do hot dogs cause cancer?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Gastroenterology 40 years experience
Eat fewer hot dogs: Hot dogs are relatively cheap and taste good. Watch out however for what's in them--read labels carefully to assess what meat is used and how much fat and preservatives are involved in their manufacture. Excessive dietary animal fats have been associated with an increased risk of cancers of the GI tract . Instead, eat a well balanced diet high in monosaturates, whole grains, fruits, vegetables.
Dr. Morton Levitt
Pathology, Anatomic and Clinical 50 years experience
Hot Dogs and Cancer: Hot dogs and other processed meats containing nitrites as preservatives are associated with cancer in some studies, since the nitrites can be converted to cancer-causing nitrosamines. Vitamin c is known to decrease the actions of nitrosamines in the body.
Pathology 45 years experience
I doubt it: Despite the presence of nitrites as preservatives and heterocyclic hydrocarbons that mutate DNA in cell cultures (as in any flame-cooked food), studies are inconsistent and even the 2005 study in the JAMA (red meat) shows only at best a weak effect. "The Cancer Project" is a group of activist vegetarians citing studies selectively and, in my opinion, misleadingly. It's their billboard.
Last updated Jun 25, 2020