A 29-year-old member asked:

Can you use something other than warfarin for hypercoagulable states for somebody who had cerebral infarcts?

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. William Lizarraga
Internal Medicine 18 years experience
Yes: If it is thought that the cerebral infarcts are a result of a hypercoagulable state, then other medications besides warfarin can be used. Aspirin is often used after a stroke to prevent another, as are Plavix (clopidogrel) and aggrenox. Other blood thinners more along the lines of warfarin are the heparins, arixtra, and some newer drugs like Pradaxa and xarelto, but these are only approved in atrial fibrillat.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 22, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.