How much gluten is safe for a person with celiac?

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Exact amount unknown: The exact amount of gluten a celiac disease patient can eat without causing symptoms is not known. Because the patient has an allergic reaction to the gluten, it is presumed that a very, very small amount of gluten will still trigger the allergic reaction. For that reason, patients with celiac disease symptoms are asked to be completely gluten-free, in order to make the symptoms go away.

Answered 10/25/2011

6.3k views

Dr. Joram Seggev answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

None: Gluten causes damage to the lining of the gut. Assuming that you really have celiac disease, you should not eat any gluten.

Answered 11/16/2017

5.4k views

U're kidding right ?: Celiac patients create antibodies when they ingest gluten.These antibodies in a quirk of nature will attack the linings of your gut & sometimes other areas. As little as a slice of bread/day will produce significant damage to the intestines that show up as a positive biopsy for celiac. There is enough random exposures to unknown gluten sources to cause problems. No exposure is without risk.

Answered 11/16/2017

474 views