is it safe to take evista (raloxifene) after five years of tamoxifen and five years of aromasin?

2 doctor answers
Dr. William Banks Hinshaw
42 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Maybe: There are no studies which address this question so there is no evidence-based answer to your question. However, tamoxifen is limited by the fda to five years of use for several very good reasons: even if you have had a hysterectomy and thus there is no uterine cancer risk, some breast cancers have been observed to mutate into resistant forms after 5 years on it. Continued...
Answered on Jul 5, 2018
4
Dr. William Banks Hinshaw
Maybe..continued: ... Aromasin, which prevents the formation of estrogen, is effective in reducing the risk of recurrence of breast cancer, but after 5 years, you are very likely to have sustained bone loss due to its effect. Evista (raloxifene) will arrest bone loss, and certainly is very unlikely to increase the risk of breast cancer, but it has never been studied as an advujant preventative like tamoxifen and aromasin.
Answered on Jun 25, 2014