how much calcium should be taken daily when on arimidex (anastrozole)?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Endocrinology 33 years experience
1500 mg: 1500 mg is the recommended calcium intake for women with low estrogen levels, including women who have gone through menopause, had a hysterectomy with ovaries removed, or are taking meds like Arimidex that lower estrogen levels. Because vitamin d is necessary to absorb calcium, taking a 1000-2000 iu of vitamin d3 is a good idea as well.
Dr. Frederick Singer
Endocrinology 58 years experience
1000 mg: Arimidex markedly lowers estrogen levels and thereby increases bone loss. About 1000 mg calcium daily with adequate vitamin d gives partial protection but osteoporosis medication may be necessary if the bone density is low.